Legal Literacy and Communication Skills
Working with Law and Lawyers
Teacher's Manual available
470 pp $72.00
Legal Literacy and Communication Skills: Working with Law and Lawyers is a first-of-its-kind text, designed expressly for students in Juris Master, Master of Jurisprudence, and Master of Legal Studies programs. This concise paperback empowers students whose professional background is outside of law with a foundational understanding of the U.S. legal system and insight into what lawyers do. Legal Literacy and Communication Skills covers key concepts, including:
- Understanding the roles of legislatures, agencies, and courts;
- Recognizing and using basic legal vocabulary in context;
- Reading a variety of legal documents efficiently and effectively;
- Writing law-related reports and correspondence;
- Reading and understanding the function of primary sources of law, including statutes, regulations, and cases;
- Understanding the basic elements of a contract and participating in contracting processes; and
- Recognizing and avoiding the unauthorized practice of law.
Students will develop skills to help them find and use legal information for themselves or as part of a collaborative project. The text includes exercises built around an ongoing case study and helpful "Traditions and Trends" commentary, which puts today's legal landscape into a broader context.
An in-depth teacher's manual accompanies the text.