Fundamentals of Doctrine and Policy
Forthcoming February 2024
2024 Teacher's Manual forthcoming
902 pp $220.00
The second edition of Patent Law: Fundamentals of Doctrine and Policy provides a remarkably accessible yet robust introduction to patent law and its practical application. Written in a straightforward style, the authors focus on providing a deep understanding of doctrine and policy without "hiding the ball" in ways that can hinder student comprehension. The book will appeal to students who have scientific and technical backgrounds or prior patent experience, as well as students who simply have an interest in technology and innovation and seek a well-rounded legal education.
The book teaches all the core patent statutes and doctrines in the United States patent system. The authors employ several pedagogical methods to ensure students' mastery of each topic. At the outset of each chapter and section are detailed explanations of the black letter law. When new concepts are introduced, the text provides examples and explanations along with diagrams and illustrations. Case law is edited to emphasize legal principles and avoid excessive technological complexities.
Updates to the second edition include:
- Dozens of new case discussions to bring the legal content up to date;
- Revamped presentation of novelty to further emphasize AIA law over pre-AIA law;
- Added examples, explanations, and practice questions to reinforce understanding;
- Increased internal cross-referencing to highlight relationships between discussions across the text;
- Reordering of topic coverage to enhance comprehension; and
- Further editing and editorializing of cases to focus on salient points of law.